Subject: Arch-announce Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 08:06:25 +0000

Send Arch-announce mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send a message with subject or
body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Arch-announce digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. [arch-announce] Incoming changes in JDK / JRE 21 packages may require manual intervention
      (Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Frederik Schwan)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 10:51:53 -0000
From: "Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Frederik Schwan"
	<[email-masked]>
Subject: [arch-announce] Incoming changes in JDK / JRE 21 packages may
	require manual intervention
To: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

We are introducing a change in JDK/JRE packages of our distro. This is
triggered from the way a JRE is build in modern versions of Java (&gt;9). We are
introducing this change in Java 21.

To sum it up instead of having JDK and JRE packages coexist in the same system
we will be making them conflict. The JDK variant package includes the runtime
environment to execute Java applications so if one needs compilation and
runtime of Java they need only the JDK package in the future. If, on the other
hand, they need just runtime of Java then JRE (or jre-headless) will work.

This will (potentially) require a manual user action during upgrade:

* if you have both JDK and JRE installed you can manually install the JDK
with pacman -Sy jdk-openjdk and this removes the JRE related packages.
* if you have both JRE and JRE-headless you will need to choose one of
them and install it manually since they would conflict each other now.
* If you only have one of the JDK/JRE/JRE-headless pacman should resolve
dependencies normally and no action is needed.

At the moment this is only valid for the upcoming JDK 21 release.

URL: https://archlinux.org/news/incoming-changes-in-jdk-jre-21-packages-may-require-manual-intervention/

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Arch-announce mailing list -- [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of Arch-announce Digest, Vol 10, Issue 1
********************************************